The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

11 August 2008

I thought they wanted to keep kids' hands clean?

While on my vacation out West, I had ample opportunity to observe loads of public restrooms. I've continued my observations since that time. Finally, after more than a month of taking notes, I'm ready to ask my question: "I thought they wanted us to keep our kids' hands clean?"

Let me back up. My son loves to wash his hands after he does his business. That's a good thing. The rumors are always that most guys don't, so I'm glad he does. He asks to wash his hands, without solicitation. And here's what I observed, after visiting what must literally be like one hundred public facilities, from here to Idaho. Probably 90% of the sinks in public restrooms were totally accessible by Eli, who is, admittedly, a little short for 5 and a 1/2. He could totally reach the sinks, and loved the automatic ones. But when it came to the soap, and I find this very interesting, I'd say that he could reach (without assistance) no more than 50% of the soap dispensers. Why is that? I find it very odd. He loved the soap. I would try to talk him into washing without soap sometimes, but he would have none of that shortcutting. It was all the way for him.

So, if you, dear reader, happen to work for any organization connected to the lay-out and construction of public restrooms, please consider lowering your hand soaps.

And, I should say, by way of aside, that by the end of our trip, Eli finally learned to put his head all the way under those automatic hand-driers so that his hair would blow everywhere. The discovery brought both of us great joy. We were often late meeting mom at the van because of it.

No comments: