The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

29 December 2007

Anonymous Emails

As a pastor I talk a lot - sermons, stories, you name it. It is an occupational hazard that with all that talking, I'm prone to confuse, concern, even offend. Sometimes, of course, I also humor. When you add to this that my personality is prone to speak first and think later, this problem is compounded. I'd like everyone (in my church, is who I have in mind, but I suppose it would apply to anyone who reads this blog, too) to know that I am always open to talking - to answering questions, addressing concerns, even apologizing (where necessary). I really value your feedback and input. I do. I mean it.

Recently someone sent me an anonymous email where they spelled out some concerns. I appreciate them coming to me and I'd like to talk to them. But anonymous emails are very limited in what can be addressed.

I'm convinced that the best path to understanding, in keeping with Matthew 18:15 and following, is to engage in up-front dialog, preferably face to face. I know, from experience, that this can sometimes seem, even be, uncomfortable, but I've learned that it is the best way to arrive at good resolution and/or reconciliation.

So, if ever you have any questions or concerns or whatever, please do talk to me. And if you did write that anonymous email that I spoke of, know that I've heard your concerns and I would love to talk to you more in person.

No comments: