The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

15 April 2008

The Keys to the Kingdom

I'm reading Dallas Willard's recent book, The Great Omission. It was recommended by a friend. In the section I read last night he talked about the "keys to the kingdom." This is a phrase from Matthew 16 in the Bible. There, Jesus gives Peter (and the other apostles, too) these "keys to the kingdom," after his declaration of Jesus' rightful identity. Dallas' point, and I think I agree, is that we tend to think of those keys in terms of control (especially in terms of others) - that I, or we, can control who can get in to the kingdom. I don't think this is all wrong - I need to think about it more. But he makes an interesting point ... that we should also understand the keys to be talking about our own access to the kingdom of God, and our ability to enjoy it. Think of it this way: if you're 16 and mom or dad gives you the "the keys to the car," the point isn't about you having the ability to control who gets in to the car, but about your ability to get into the car and drive it! It is the same with the keys of the kingdom that we followers of Jesus have been given.

So I'm starting (afresh?) to pray daily that I actually access this kingdom today. That I enter in. And maybe I can help others enter too. Which is why I'm also remembering daily that God is already at work as I step out into the world; and I'm asking God for help in recognizing where he's at work and the opportunity to join in. Meg and I have been trying this latter for the last couple of weeks with some interesting effect - lots of great conversations and the opportunity to pray for people on airplanes, in airports, at P.F. Chang's, etc. God is good.

2 comments:

Ramon said...

good thoughts jim. I am actually starting an experiment with a guy in my church and we are praying to see the people we encounter daily through God's eyes in order to engage them the way he would. We just started so nothing happened yet but I am sure something will. By the way nice picture of the fam.

Peace

Jim said...

Thanks, my friend. A woman in our church took the picture. She's good. And you've got a great idea. I like it! Keep me posted.