The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

23 January 2011

Jan. 2nd



Birthday wishes for me
A children's choir honoring our visit with their voices in Amharic worship
Buna entata (coffee with milk) at our breakfast
Coffee so good- my mouth sang a new song
Our son gently stroking the hair and face of the most striking Ethiopian girl sitting next to us
The church at Mugar serving back to us the bread we had brought
to share with them
And not allowing us to leave without first serving us more coffee
I drank it without cream or milk and could have had five more
Our friend Tsegaye praying over Jim and me
Kneeling down and grasping our feet and weeping his heart for us to God
My son praying with us over two women for Jesus to break through
the chains in their lives
A constant thoughtfulness toward us that was as natural to these African men as nursing infants
with their mothers
I am wordless to tell the story of this grace
My senses and knitted frame have been blanketed in the warm embrace of a people so lovely
So beautiful
I stand changed as a new year dawns
I rise with the pink and orange and yellow hues of the sun
I lay out arms stretched and palms supine
To bake in its light

No comments: