The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

09 January 2008

Tell Me What You Know About Love and Justice

So Megan bought this new album by Sara Groves, called "Tell Me What You Know." It is very good. Mainly she wanted the song "When the saints." It is a very cool song. Solid lyrics and all that. We first heard the song on WMUZ, our local Christian radio station. Now, you may be wondering, "What were you doing listening to that station?" I know. We never did. But then this very cool woman in our church started dj-ing the morning show and she's not really your typical Christian radio station host and she's trying to turn things around and so now we listen sometimes. Anyway ...

"When the saints" is a good song. It is all about the longing to be faithful in life and be among the saints as they enter into the fulness of the kingdom. One of the threads is about the various saints who've gone before and looking to them in times of difficulty. There's this line that says, "I see the young girl huddled on the brothel floor; i see the man of passion come kicking down the door." Something in this line powerfully speaks to me. I identify with both the young woman, and the man. So often I feel like the young woman, huddled in sin, in shame, in grief, longing for my strong Rescuer to come and deliver me. He is filled with passion - for me, and not to abuse me, nor use me, but to save me. And the fruit of that is his willingness to go to any lengths to rescue me; he kicks down doors to get to me and set me free. And when I reflect on my connection with that young woman, a desire rises up in me to be that man of passion. I want to be one who is filled with passion to set people free. To be a man who goes to any length to deliver those held in sin and shame and circumstance.

I later discovered that the album is dedicated to the people of IJM (International Justice Mission - see post Saturday, Dec 15th) and those who around the world who have heroic tales born of injustices overcome.

All this reminds me that I am both one in need of rescue and one who is called to rescue, simultaneously. God is good.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I love Sara Groves. I don't have her new cd, but I have many of her others. Her music is so honest and relatable. Sara has helped me through some tough times.

Jim said...

yeah, i guess this is her newest one. i haven't listened to too much yet since, megan, when she gets a new cd, loves to the listen to her favorite song over and over. so i've only heard like 2 or 3 tracks, but it seems really good. honesty is a good word.

Jessica said...

I am like Megan, I wear a song out! Do you have any of her older ones, if not I can hook you up. Also if you like Sara Groves, check out Ginny Owens. She is blind and has an amazing perspective and is a great musician.

Jim said...

cool. i think meg ordered one other of her older cd's - not sure which one. i'm sure she'd take a hook up of other ones she doesn't have, though. and i've not heard of ginny owens. cool.