The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

10 March 2008

How do we create change?

I was reading in my Books & Culture this morning and I found a bunch of quotes from this one particular article that really grabbed my attention. Its a review of Troublesome Young Men: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill To Power in 1940 and Helped To Save Britain. Because it is the most current issue, that article is not available online yet.

One particular quote that grabbed my attention had to do with the nature of political change. I've been thinking quite a bit about politics and the fight for justice. In fact, I mentioned it in passing in my sermon this past Sunday, as one response we can make when faced with the reality of evil and suffering. But how do we really do this? How do we cultivate change and bring about justice? There's a great line from this article. In talking about the cadre of young companions that helped bring Churchill to power, and their contribution to story of democracy, the reviewer offers this quote:

"No government can change men's souls," observed Ronald Cartland, the youngest member of the rebel group. "The souls of men change governments."

I love that! Personal transformation and social change go hand in hand, and the order is not irrelevant.

No comments: