The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

28 May 2008

Life in the Burbs

It is possible to find life in the suburbs - a deeper, thick life of connectedness with God, others, and even ourselves.
Goetz says, "In the late nineties, I read an interview with pop artist Jewell in Rolling Stone magazine. ... She said, 'I'm just a person who is honestly trying to live my life and asking, "How do you be spiritual and live in the world without going to a monastery?''' I don't think you can be spiritual and live in the suburbs without the practices of the monastery. If I had to capture the deeper Christian life in two words, I'd choose silence and service within the context, of course, of Christian community. In silence, the flow is between God and me. In service, the flow is from me to the world. ... As I experience the depths of Christ's presence, as my conversation with God matures, silence and service become my life."

This is good. And for silence and service to be become our life, we have to begin somewhere - to take time for silence and start serving someone.

2 comments:

Raising Cains said...

so do you recommend it?

it's kind of funny/scary that both this book and "the suburban christian" are written by people in the western suburbs of chicago.

i'm just starting a book called, "never mind the joneses" and i like what they are saying so far.

Jim said...

ahhh... yeah, probably. it isn't that he is saying anything bad or anything. he's pretty funny, and the book is engaging, but i didn't find everything that he had to say particularly helpful in a specific way. it was very basic. the beginning and ends were the best part. that is pretty funny about your point - this guy lives in wheaton.