The Pool Party

The Pool Party
Jim, Megan, Eli, Esther, Eden and Olive

16 May 2008

Provision and Pursuing

As often as I've been able over the last month or so, I've woken up early, opened up the window in my den (or whatever other room I find myself in, if traveling), and listen to the birds. Their joyful songs remind me of Jesus' teachings in Matthew 6 - that the birds neither sow nor reap and yet they are provided for. God provides for them. God provides for us. It is good for me to reflect on this.

Megan and I just returned with our team from the 4Ward Conference - the regional leadership gathering of the Vineyard Great Lakes. It was good. I'm pretty stirred up - for God, for the people in our area, for our church. I love our church.

I really want our church to grow - to see more people discover eternal life and freedom in Jesus. I really want our church to know community - vibrant relationships where people are authentically sharing life. But we can't pursue growth. We can't pursue community. If we do, things get all messed up.

Jesus says we're to pursue first God's Kingdom and God's righteousness, and if we do that, then all these other things will be taken care - growth and community and personal satisfaction and a whole load of things besides. To pursue God's Kingdom is to experience reality as it is described in places like Luke 15 and to live out Jesus' agenda as described in places like Luke 4:18-19. As we do this we're pursuing the righteousness of God - all things he considers right and good and just.

So the birds have reminded me this morning that we're to pursue first God's Kingdom and God will provide for what is necessary.

No comments: